Kinesiology tape, also known as KT tape or K-tape, is a type of elastic therapeutic tape that is used for a variety of purposes, particularly in sports and sports rehab.
What is KT Tape?
KT tape is designed to mimic the elasticity and thickness of human skin. It is made of cotton fibers with an acrylic adhesive, and it can stretch up to 140% of its original length. The tape is designed to be breathable and water-resistant, allowing it to be worn for several days without losing its effectiveness.
What is the purpose of KT Tape?
The primary purpose of KT Tape is to provide support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting range of motion. It can be used to treat and prevent injuries, manage pain, improve performance, and aid in the rehabilitation process.
What are the benefits of KT Tape?
1. Muscle support: KT Tape can be applied to muscles to provide support and reduce muscle fatigue. It can help improve muscle function and prevent muscle cramps and strains.
2. Joint stability: The tape can be used to stabilize joints, such as the knee, shoulder, or ankle, by providing additional support to ligaments and tendons. It can help reduce pain and improve joint stability during physical activity.
3. Pain relief: KT Tape can help alleviate pain caused by various conditions, including muscle sprains, tendonitis, and arthritis. The tape works by lifting the skin, which can help reduce pressure on pain receptors and improve blood circulation.
4. Swelling and inflammation: KT Tape can help reduce swelling and inflammation by providing gentle compression to the affected area. It can improve lymphatic and blood flow, aiding in the healing process.
5. Postural correction: The tape can be used in addition to chiropractic adjustments to help improve posture and alignment by providing cues and feedback to the muscles. It can be applied to the back, shoulders, or neck to promote better posture and relieve strain on the muscles.
Who can benefit from KT tape?
At Butler Spine & Sport, we commonly use KT tape to help magnify the effects of the other treatments we perform. For example, applying tape to the low back after we have adjusted the spine and performed muscle scraping on the low back muscles can help prolong the effects of the treatment and provide additional relief for the patient.
As discussed above, KT tape has many different uses. Some common conditions we use KT tape for are:
Low back pain.
Interested? Schedule an appointment on our website or by calling (913) 359-5819. If you have questions or would like to learn more about the treatment options we have to offer, please reach out. Consultations are always free!